One of the largest reservoirs in California. The lake has total surface area, when full, of eleven-thousand acres. Stocked regularly with trout. It is fed by the Kern River. Has many fish species including catfish, rainbow trout, brown trout, crappie, bluegill, pikeminnow, shad, salmon, bass, carp, and even koi.
The lake is about 40 away miles from Downtown Bakersfield, with an elevation of approximately 2,500 ft above sea level. The towns of Wofford Heights and Mtn. Mesa neighbor the lake. Many different campgrounds can be found right along the water.
A record 50-lb catfish was caught here a few years ago. An excellent place to fish for many species of fish. This reservoir is also home to the wildly popular fishing derby that's hosted every year in March/April.
- Trout: Limit of 5, no size restrictions
- Bass: Limit of 2, must be longer than 15 inches
- Catfish: No limit, no size restrictions
- Bluegill: No limit, no size restrictions
- Crappie: No limit, no size restrictions
- Carp: No limit, no size restrictions
- Most artificial lures and bait allowed