This is trout fishing at its best. The upper section of the river starts from Isabella Lake and goes upstream through Kernville and all the way up to the Whitney Portals. It is stocked throughout the year with rainbow trout. The river also has native brown, golden trout, and pikeminnow.
Special regulations apply when fishing upstream of Johnsondale Bridge. Anything downstream from Johnsondale Bridge (Powerhouse, Riverside Park, Goldledge, etc.) follows the normal regulations listed below. If you are unsure, just click the "Open In Maps" button and it will lead you to Riverside Park, which isn't subject to any special regulations, just the normal regulations listed below.
- Parking: Yes (Free)
- Entry Price: Free
- Public Bathrooms: At Riverside Park and most campgrounds
- 24/7 Access: Yes (Although fishing for trout at night is not allowed)
- Fishing License Required: Yes (For ages 16+)
- Camping: Yes
Regulations (Kern County):
- Trout: Limit of 5, no size restrictions
- Most artificial lures and bait allowed
- Salmon Eggs (Trout)
- Pink Mice Tails (Trout)
- Live Crickets (Trout)
- Gold Panther Martin Spinner (Trout)